The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands on experience to young students in delivering community service. Shadan Women’s College of Engineering and Technology has an NSS unit, approved by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad with an objective to develop the attitude of social service among the students and to make them into responsible citizens and to create holistic development through community Service. .
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF NSS
- Establish rapport with the people in the project area.
- Plan programs and carry out the plan
- Encouraging students and staff to work together in rural areas.
- Emphasizing on dignity of labour and self-help and the need for combining physical work with intellectual pursuits.
- Identify needs, problems and resources of the community
- Encouraging youth to participate enthusiastically in the process of national development and promote national integration, through corporate living and cooperative action.
- Making education more relevant to the present situation to meet the felt needs of the community and supplement the education of the college students by bringing them
face to face with the rural situation.
- To gain skill in the exercise of democratic leadership.
- Providing opportunities to the students to play their role in planning and executing development projects which would not only help in creating durable community assets in rural areas and urban slums but also results in the improvement of quality of
life of the economically and socially weaker sections of the community.
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve themselves in problem-solving.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
MOTTO OF NSS
The motto of the National Service Scheme (N.S.S) is “Not Me, But You”. It expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless services and appreciation of another man’s point of view and also show consideration towards fellow human beings. It underlines the welfare of an individual which is most necessary as it ultimately leads to the welfare of the society as a whole. Therefore the N.S.S. should aim to demonstrate this motto in its day-to-day activities.
Shadan Women’s College of Engineering and Technology Motto is “NOT ME BUT YOU”
OBJECTIVE OF NSS
Personality development through community service
SYMBOL OF NSS
The symbol for the NSS has been based on the giant Rath Wheel of the world famous Konark Sun Temple (The Black Pagoda) situated in Orissa, India. The wheel portrays the cycle of creation, preservation and release and signifies the movement in life across time and space. The symbol thus stands for continuity as well as change and implies the continuous striving of NSS for social change.
The NSS Symbol is embossed on the badge. The eight bars in the wheel represent the 24 hours of a day. The red colour indicates that the volunteer is full of young blood that is lively, active, energetic and full of high spirit. The navy blue colour indicates the cosmos of which the NSS is a tiny part, ready to contribute its share for the welfare of the mankind.
NSS was formally launched on 24th September 1969, the birth centenary year of the Father of the Nation. Therefore, 24 September is celebrated every year as NSS Day with appropriate programmes and activities.
All NSS volunteers are expected to learn the theme song and sing the song during NSS events.
NSS STUDENT VOLUNTEER SELECTION CRITERION
- Should have passion towards Social Service.
- Possesses good conduct and regular to academics.
- Good academic track record.
INCENTIVES TO STUDENTS
- Regular NSS Certificate will be issued by the Shadan Women’s College of Engineering and Technology SWCET-NSS Unit for those who have participated in Regular NSS Activities in their academic duration.
|S.no||Particulars||View / Download|